Thursday, August 12, 2010

Be a Disciple.


Upon arriving in Kansas, I was timid. The thought of having to start all over...once again, scared me. I was worried how people would take me. Would they accept me? Would I have friends? Or would I go through this next year solo? I attended the Crave Conference in the summer of 2009. There was a speaker who was talking and asked the question, "Who are you going to be this year? Who does God want you to be?" I immediately went to ask God. I opened up my booklet where I was taking notes, and the first thing i saw that I had written was "Be a Jesus Freak." Hmm, well I knew what God wanted me to be. I left the conference with that thought reverberating in my mind. 
Soon, school was starting. And the shyness began to take over. Then, God so kindly reminded me of who I was supposed to be. He reminded me of who He created to be. A Jesus Freak. Sometimes doing what God wants isn't always the easy thing. I was attending the new high school that was tagged as "the rich kids." I drove to school everyday and parked my car among the many BMW's and Mercedes. Then, there was me...Susanna, showing up to school in jeans and a t-shirt. Already, I was the odd girl out. BUT, I remembered who I was. One day at school I was going to the cafeteria when everyone else was leaving. It was me fighting through a student body of 1,700. In that moment, God showed me how I was to "go against the crowd." 
God had called me to be a disciple. So, what did I do? I loved. Regardless of the people around me, I loved them. I didn't judge them. I talked to them. I was there for them. And what happened? A change took place. Those very people who persecuted me were coming to me. They were confused. I was constantly asked, "Why do you talk to me? You're so much better than me." This was my opportunity to share the love of God with them. 
After graduating, we all went our own ways. But, there was this one girl in particular that I remember. During the year she had approached me and told me to take off my w.w.j.d. bracelet, then continued to call me a hypocrite. I looked at her and said, "I'm sorry if it offends you, but I love Jesus." I wasn't trying to prove myself, I was simply letting her know who owns my heart. After this incident she didn't talk to me too much. But, the other day she contacted me and told me these words, "Susanna...you're going to be a hero to many people. And make a difference in the lives of everyone around you." Wow. I was shocked. What had I done to deserve such an encouragement? 
I was a disciple. The Bible tells us in John 14, "This is my command: Love Each Other." The world will know we are disciples of Jesus by the way we love each other. Let your life be your best worship. Let your life speak for you. It's the most effective way to minister to those around you. People will begin to see just how different you are, and they'll question your ways. God opens doors for you to minister. Take it! There is a world out there that needs to be saved. And there are certain people in your path that God has placed. God wants you to change them through Him. Take off their chains and bring them into the light. 


John 14:12, "This is my command: Love each other as I have loved you."

No comments:

Post a Comment