Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I'm Still Here

The past few weeks I've been living in Guatemala. And it's been kinda busy. Waking up early, going to school, drilling spanish into my mind for 5 hours everyday, working with the students at the ACE on campus, going home, doing homework, going to bed. That's basically my schedule at the moment. Therefore, my mind has been all over. And some people might say, "Wow! You moved to a different country to follow God! That's awesome, I bet you are so close to Him!" Well, for me...that wasn't the case. YES, I moved to a different country to follow God. But I've felt far away from Him in the past couple of weeks. I felt like I wasn't hearing His voice, and I was so longing to. It began to get discouraging to me. 
This last weekend I traveled to a town in Guatemala called Palin. There was a small group of students going to do an evangelism outreach and I tagged along. One night the pastor of a church wanted us to go and present a drama to his youth group. The church was in Amatilan, a town about 30 minutes from where we were staying. Only 5 people were needed, but I was asked to go. So, we presented the drama...and then the pastor went up and started to lead us in worship. I was there, I closed my eyes...and for the first time in a while I heard God speak to me. He said, "I'm still here...I haven't left you." Well...it became one of those moments where you just can't hold it in anymore and tears began to fall. While I was standing there in the presence of God, He began to show me different things I’ve been through...and how He’s rescued me. He showed me how He was there then and how He is here now. Never leaving or forsaking me. Then, He told me...“Now GO!” 
God will never leave us. No matter what we feel or think. He’s always there. Always. And He’s calling out our names. We just need to be sensitive enough to hear Him. And to respond. It’s simple. Yet, sometimes it’s so hard to say no to what you want to do. And say YES to what we need to do. Soon enough it will become a desire of your heart. And you won’t be able to refuse His calling. But, right now...don’t get discouraged. You’re not alone. He’s right there with you. Telling you, “I’m still here...I haven’t left you.”

1 comment:

  1. Susanna,
    I am soooo amazed by your heart for God! I love to hear about what God is doing in you. What a time of growth and stretching that you are in. Know that we are praying for you and believe in the calling that God has placed upon you. I am so thankful for your "go-for-it" attitude! You've let go of anything that could hold you back and you are thriving in the place God created for you. I love that we used to share a little room and for the memories that we have together. Love you Susanna!
    Love, Tori

    ReplyDelete